Select Page

5 MYTHS ABOUT KNEE REPLACEMENT

When knee replacement became widely popular in the late 1980s, it had actually represented a major advancement in the history of Knee treatment. Today orthopedists come across common knee problems and often recommend Knee replacement. However, all these patients are reluctant to get operated. Most of them are already scared by their relatives. It should be taken into consideration that technology is evolving and will continue to evolve in the future. For instance, getting information from a person who had knee replacement surgery in the 1990s is often misleading. Even a surgery which has been taken place 5 years ago cannot be considered. Here we have reviewed some of the common myths of a knee replacement Surgery which we have learned over time. The details given below are even subjected to change as we are now a part of the fast-paced technological era where equipment is becoming obsolete. Evidently, the process of total knee replacement will look different 20 years from now. Since over the years, surgical techniques and rehabilitation plans have been refined. Hence, these enhancements can distort the fact which was manifested a long time ago.

Here are the 5 common changes that have taken place over the years:

 

Myth 1: One has to be in bed for a long time after the surgery

How much time one has to be on the bed depends on the patient’s recovery and rehabilitation plan which is crucial to the overall success of the total knee replacement. A recovery and rehabilitation plan can help the patients to leave the hospital sooner, regain knee strength, resume independent living and avoid potential complications. Typically, a person who has undergone a knee replacement surgery is expected to leave the hospital within 2 to 5 days. Due to the new rapid recovery protocols which reduce the time on the bed, the patient can be expected to resume their work activities after 6 weeks of surgery. Although there is no typical recovery time, the majority of patients are 90% recovered by the end of 3 months.

 

Myth 2: One can delay the Surgery as long as possible

Maybe out of fear or misinformation, but a delay can cost you certain risks which involve the deterioration of the joint, increased pain and even lack of mobility. Depending on the severity of the knee condition, a surgeon can perform non-surgical methods first which includes anti-inflammatory medications, glucosamine, and other physical therapies. If the patient has become sedentary due to the joint pain, a surgeon may recommend knee resurfacing. So a delay can cause rising chances of deformities, increased pain, lack of mobility and difficulty to perform normal activities of daily life.

 

Myth 3: Minimally Invasive Surgery is a better option

Minimally invasive surgery characterizes a less invasive surgery where a surgeon is expected to make a small incision and works within the surgical area. But the type of minimally invasive approach entirely depends upon the surgeon’s experience and preference. Moreover, the approach tends to have higher complication rates for few people which necessitates following few eligibility criteria in terms of age, muscular orientation etc. Patients can investigate and seek a second opinion from other surgeons. Ultimately, even if the patient holds to be a good candidate for minimally invasive surgery, it is entirely upto the patient to decide whether to have a total knee replacement or minimally invasive surgery.

 

Myth 4: Total knee replacement doesn’t last long

For 80-90% of people who have undergone total knee replacement, the new joint lasts about 20-22 years. Even it may last longer. However, if the patient has undergone a partial knee replacement, he or she may need a repeat operation but the probability is as low as 10%. The possibility increases if the candidate is either overweight or does heavy manual work.

 

Myth 5: Knee Replacement is a costly procedure

It should be kept in the mind that the cost of Total knee replacement can vary substantially depending upon the factors such as the number of days spent in the hospital, type of implant and surgical approach, preexisting conditions and unanticipated care or equipment required. The average cost of a total knee replacement in the United States is $49,500. The Total Knee Replacement Cost in India lies between $3,076 to $5,348. Since the cost of medical procedure in India is low, people from the USA and the UK prefer to travel to India. A rising number of medical tourism facilitators in India are more than just a Treatment Facilitators. You can be benefitted with the best of treatment at the price like never before.

Knee Replacement Surgery is a big-time pain-relief and one can go back to everyday life. However, like any other surgery, there are some benefits and risks involved. You cannot judge them solely on the basis of hearsay. If you have any query or concern, you can consult your doctor and plan of treatment.